[ALUG] Geo Referencing (was Re: Face Recognition)

Steve Fosdick lists at pelvoux.nildram.co.uk
Wed Jun 17 14:16:55 BST 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-16 at 18:04 +0100, Adrian Clark wrote:

> I'm afraid I wasn't being clear in my earlier message.  If you're one
> of the lucky people having a camera-with-GPS, I imagine everything
> will work perfectly.  I was talking about trying to geo-reference
> photos that don't have such data -- I have about 20,000 such photos
> myself, as well as about 50 Gb of photos from the Colchester
> Archaeological Trust that could do with being geo-referenced!

So I take it you generally know the place name where the photo was taken
and want to work back to the longitude and latitude in order to tag the
photo.

This seem very similar to the indexes used by satellite navigation
systems which in my experience work well when the input is well
structured like for example a post code or an exact street address but
are much less good for a place with a simple description like "The Mill,
Saxted" or "The top of Glastonbury Tor".  There is often a "Points of
Interest" index to try to make up for this but it is usually incomplete
and out of date.

Are there any collaborative projects to build a useful place name to
coordinate index online?  I know someone started a project to build a
postcode to coordinate index collaboratively so free software would have
the use of such an index rather than having to license the data from
Royal Mail.

Steve.