[ALUG] How things have changed

Steve Fosdick lists at pelvoux.nildram.co.uk
Sat Jun 27 09:59:49 BST 2009

I've just bought a couple of new bits of hardware and was very
pleasantly surprised how things have changed for the better.

I got a wireless trackerball and a UPS both with USB connections.

I plugged the trackerball receiver in, pressed the connect button and it
started working.  That wasn't a great surprise but obviously nice.

I plugged the UPS in and, before I had a chance to check that it had
been detected and then look for software for it an icon appeared telling
me the UPS was fully charged and also reporting on the batteries in the
wireless trackerball.

For simplicity this beats having to install software from an
accompanying CD in order to get the same features.

It seems when manufacturers adopt standard protocols or are more open
about the protocols and interfaces they do use the pace of development
increases dramatically.

Steve.