[ALUG] Linux Laptop

Simon Elliott sionide at sionide.net
Mon Dec 6 18:34:40 GMT 2010

On 6 December 2010 15:08, Anthony Anson <tony.anson at girolle.co.uk> wrote:
> Brett Parker wrote:
>>
>> On 06 Dec 13:29, Anthony Anson wrote:
>>>
>>> BAH! Just hit 'send' innit!
>>>
>>> Sorry Brett

> /snip/
> /snip snip/
>>>
>>> No. Never used a network apart from connecting to wifi.
>>
>> And it's the wifi connecting that most mac users ooooh and aaaah over at
>> me. Until it doesn't work.
>
> Huh! Nev! Are you paying attention?
>
> I go into the Fat Cat and get their key. I fire-up the Eee and it 'finds
> wap'. I connect to it and feed it the key. It just sits there pondering. It
> *SAYS* it's connecting, but it never does. That's Xandross
>
> It works on my brother's wireless, and on my bro'-in-law's.
>
> Using the flaptop (Debian), it just connects, even in the Fat Cat.
>
> Haven't tried it using windows - I tend only to use that for Irfanview.

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Irfanview but I fail to see what
features you miss from it when running Linux. Also it's fugly.. The
icons look like they were made in the 90s. :/

The only killer thing I can think it does is the batch file conversion
and rename stuff but there are extremely powerful command line linux
tools out there to do the same jobs.

As a last resort, there's always Wine??
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=7834
Keeping a whole Windows partition there just to use one imaging
application seems like massive overkill to me.

-Simon