[ALUG] Alternatives to SMTP when the network fails

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Wed Dec 8 17:50:42 GMT 2010

On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 05:25:22PM +0000, Jonathan McDowell wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 04:31:05PM +0000, Brett Parker wrote:
>
> > It's even better than that, because you're also not likely to have an
> > external IP at all on 3G, vodafone 3G sticks, in my experience, tend
> > to throw you in to a nat'd 10.0.0.0/24 address space.
>
> Depends on the provider. When I had my Orange 3G USB dongle I got a real
> world, unfirewalled IP (dynamic though, so not useful as an SMTP
> endpoint). I believe there's an APN under 3 that gives this too.
>
> I'd go for the VPN approach in all cases that didn't have a static IP at
> the destination end, whether there's NAT involved or not.

Surely many/most ISPs/hosting companies now provide authenticated SMTP
on various ports other than the standard 25.  Certainly all three that I
use do so - that's Gradwell, Gandi and Tsohost.  You just set up your
mail (whether MUA or MTA) to use authenticated SMTP on the specified
port and away you go.  That works from anywhere, I just turn my netbook
on and send away without worrying whether I'm on a hotel's WiFi, a 3G
dongle (as at present0 or at home on my ADSL.