[ALUG] Linux printing and Laserjet 1000

Wayne Stallwood ALUGlist at digimatic.co.uk
Sat Dec 11 18:22:12 GMT 2010

On 11/12/10 16:13, Phil Wade wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to use Linux (any version) as a print server for the
> PCs on my home network that use Ubuntu, Mint, XP and 7.
> I have two Epson printers that work fine on any distro.
>
> However, my default printer is an HP Laserjet 1000. Very basic, but
> perfect for everyday printing in monochrome. I cannot get it to work
> with Linux.

Wait....are you telling me you have a LaserJet 1000 that still works ?

:)

> Has anyone, ever, been able to get on of these Laserjet 1000 things to
> work with any flavour of Linux? If so I'd be very grateful to learn the
> secret.

I think I am right in saying that series of printers needs a firmware
file shooting up it's USB port before it will run. Try looking at the
foo2zjs driver, you'll probably find that you already have it but you
need to do some magic to download a firmware image and shoot it up to
the printer as it initialises.

Sorry I can't help more