[ALUG] Dual Boot & Partition For Files

Simon Elliott alug at sionide.net
Mon Dec 13 18:56:03 GMT 2010

On 13 December 2010 10:24, Simon Royal <mrsimonroyal at gmail.com> wrote:
> [snip snip]
>
> Am I correct in thinking to have read/write from both Ubuntu and XP the 'files' partition would need to be FAT32 and not NTFS?

This was the case a few years back but Ubuntu supports read/write to
NTFS with the 3G fuse drivers.

 sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g

will sort that out.

Similarly, there's a freebie app for Windows that allows it to read
ext3.  http://www.fs-driver.org/faq.html#acc_ext3
http://www.fs-driver.org/download.html

If you're going the whole hog, using the Ubuntu install as your "main"
OS on the laptop, I'd go for a small partition for XP, leave the rest
of the space to Ubuntu and access the files in /home/user on Windows
using the above app.

Cheers,
Simon