[ALUG] Recommended dynamic DNS services - and how to configure them?

steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk
Mon Dec 13 21:44:03 GMT 2010

On 11/12/10 09:32, Chris G wrote:
>>> Does anyone have any experience of using any of these services, any
>>> recommendations?
I've used dyndns and no-ip.com before and both OK.
no-ip.com used to regularly bug me with an email saying that as my
configuration had not been updated in ages, unless I clicked the link on
the email, my no-ip account would be closed.  AFAIK the client was
running perfectly well all the time, just that there were no changes of
IP address.  In the end, I coughed up for a subscription.

> OK, thanks for all the advice - I think my problem is now lack of
> ability of the 3-G connection to allow incoming connections.

Is this because the router is unable to allow incoming connections, or
that you just haven't set up port forwarding.  I noticed you other posts
about vpns etc.  Previously, I've just set up port forwarding on the
router to a specific machine.  That machine's running a ssh server.
I've then tunnelled the ports I'm interested in over the ssh link, and
bob's your uncle.

Not sure, but I think this may be easier to configure than a VPN.
Depends why you want to talk to this machine?

Steve