[ALUG] "Warning: we recommend you do not upgrade to ubuntu 10.04"

Srdjan Todorovic todorovic.s at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 14 00:07:16 GMT 2010

On 13 December 2010 22:56, James Freer <jessejazza at googlemail.com> wrote:
> performance / high load average problems - mint 9 too?
>
> I read this last evening about ubuntu 10.04 - any of you developer
> folk tested it by any chance?
>
> http://linuxforums.org.uk/ubuntu/warning-we-recommend-you-do-not-upgrade-to-ubuntu-10-04/

These posts are pretty old.

> I found ubuntu 10.10 unusable and yet these folk say it's ok.

I find it OK as long as you don't run KDE-proper, (but some KDE apps
are very slow), and as long as you don't move/copy a lot of data
about.

The data copy/move issue might be solved by the recent-ish changes to
the kernel regarding c-groups (??). I have not yet had the time to
play with a vanilla kernel on *buntu - but others say this has
effectively fixed the problem.

I don't know why you found it unusable, maybe you could elaborate on
that for the people reading this list that are more into Ubuntu.

Hmm... mind you...... on my dual core 2.6GHz-ish machine, with buntu
10.04, the load average is: 0.57, 0.50, 0.59  for a pretty much idle
machine except firefox having a few tabs open.

I remember a single-core machine with a slower clock, less ram etc,
about 4 years ago having an idle load of about 0.05, 0.01, 0.01. I'm
sure this isn't a very good or scientific comparison, but I sometimes
wonder if there is a problem with Linux.

   - Srdjan