[ALUG] "Warning: we recommend you do not upgrade to ubuntu 10.04"

Tim Green timothy.j.green at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 07:29:27 GMT 2010

On 14 December 2010 00:07, Srdjan Todorovic <todorovic.s at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hmm... mind you...... on my dual core 2.6GHz-ish machine, with buntu
> 10.04, the load average is: 0.57, 0.50, 0.59  for a pretty much idle
> machine except firefox having a few tabs open.
>
> I remember a single-core machine with a slower clock, less ram etc,
> about 4 years ago having an idle load of about 0.05, 0.01, 0.01. I'm
> sure this isn't a very good or scientific comparison, but I sometimes
> wonder if there is a problem with Linux.

I am using Ubuntu 10.04, default kernel, default Gnome, on a single
core machine (Pentium 4 3GHz), and almost all my load issues are
caused by Firefox! I have one tab open to write this email and the
load average is about 0.18. Meanwhile in top the other big CPU users
over the past 6 days uptime are "beam.smp" (part of couch db, part of
gwibber, which is pants because it breaks when I sleep or hibernate
the computer) and Xorg.

Tim.