[ALUG] Reverse ssh set-up and/or alternatives

Brett Parker iDunno at sommitrealweird.co.uk
Tue Dec 14 12:11:11 GMT 2010

On 13 Dec 22:02, steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk wrote:
> On 11/12/10 15:06, Brett Parker wrote:
> >On 11 Dec 09:37, Chris G wrote:
> >>I really only need command line access.  Are there any alternative ways
> >>of doing this or is ssh port-mapping the best way to do it?
> >
> >*if* you've got a vm/permanently connected machine/server somewhere (I'd
> >guess you have otherwise where would you terminate the ssh
> >connection...) then I'd suggest using vpn software like OpenVPN instead
> >to that box. Then you're not limited to just the ssh port.
> >
> >>The other issue is somehow to restart the connection if/when it goes
> >>down (which it does fairly frequently, this is a somewhat flakey area
> >>for 3-G) - any clever ideas?
> >
> >Surely that should just be handled by the 3G router? ;)
>
> Are you suggesting VPN just because it will restart the connection
> when the 3G comes up?  If not, is it not overkill just for command
> line access?
>
> (no offence intended, trying to learn, not yet set up my own vpn)

I'm suggesting it because it makes a lot of problems go away, will
autoreconnect, and means that you don't actually have to think as much
about what you actually *need* access to.

As for using ssh reverse tunnels, we do that a *lot* at work, and it's
not that reliable - the closest you can get to something that is almost
reliable is using autossh, and that's not that great at it.
--
Brett Parker                     http://www.sommitrealweird.co.uk/
PGP Fingerprint 1A9E C066 EDEE 6746 36CB  BD7F 479E C24F 95C7 1D61