[ALUG] Why Do You Use Linux?

Jonathan McDowell noodles at earth.li
Tue Dec 21 19:26:17 GMT 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 07:17:00PM +0000, Wayne Stallwood wrote:
> It's interesting that most people who have passed negative comment on my
> desktop of choice tend to be sitting on a Windows machine with several
> thousand pounds of pirated software to achieve the same thing I manage
> with Free software, I often retort by asking them if they would feel the
> same way if they had actually paid for everything.

This one annoys me too.

I've written a handful of blog articles about why I use Linux, mainly as
a thinking out loud exercise. It was inspired by the discovered that I
might end up having to use Windows at work, and wondering exactly what
it was about that which made me unhappy. They're not all up yet (I'm
drip feeding them out to avoid flooding Planets/boring people too much),
but you can see what I have so far at:

http://the.earth.li/~noodles/cgi-bin/mt/mt-search.cgi?blog_id=1&tag=whylinux&limit=20&IncludeBlogs=1

(Hmm. That's an ugly URL for searching. I should play with some rewrite
rules at some point.)

(Also, as a spoiler, I didn't end up having to run Windows and have put
Debian on my shiny new work laptop.)

J.

--
   Everything goes quiet, I roll   |  .''`.  Debian GNU/Linux Developer
   over and drop carrier for 10    | : :' :  Happy to accept PGP signed