[ALUG] Looking for simple[ish] drawing program for basic cir

James Freer jessejazza at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 22 21:55:29 GMT 2010

Qcad is what comes to mind.

Someone else has posted a similar query on another group i belong to.
So i've cut&pasted responses below.

james

electric
geda
sience-electronics

Not sure what you find difficult about Dia - it's pretty much drag &
drop. You can get documentation here:
http://live.gnome.org/Dia
 http://live.gnome.org/Dia/Documentation
and additional shapes here:
http://dia-installer.de/shapes.html
You can look at any of the additional shapes by clicking on the "more"
link next to the shape info.

hint: download:
diashapes_0.2.2-1_i386.deb
or
diashapes_0.2.2-1_amd64.deb
from the links here:
http://dia-installer.de/diashapes/index.html.en
install & then: Applications|Graphics|Diashapes
that will add the additional shapes for you.

You can also create rather complex circuit diagrams in OpenOffice.org
Draw, and then export the page to html. You'll have to hunt around a
little for templates/gallery items, but there are plenty around. Here
are a few for starters:
<http://csserver.evansville.edu/~richardson/projects/openoffice/html/electronic_template_usage.html>
<http://csserver.evansville.edu/~richardson/projects/openoffice/>
<http://dsciences.free.fr/>
(use google translator)
http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/
(search on 'electronic' or 'circuit')
<http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=10160>
(old, but a good start - check the forum for other similar)

Or, you could try this simple link:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=electric+circuit+drawing+linux

for drawing circuit diagrams in the past, I've usually either used Dia,
but as you've already tried that, the only other program i use is
oregano (available from synaptic).

oregano is supposed to also have some simulation capabilities as well,
but they've never really worked right for me... but for simple circuits
its easy to build them up in oregano, then screenshot them and save it
that way. Did that for notes in class all the time.

Hope that helps!

 you could also look at
http://fritzing.org/welcome/

Xfig(1) at http://www.xfig.org/ is simple, (maybe too simple for you,)
and has schematic symbols, etc., and you can apt-get(8) it from the
Ubuntu/Debian archives. Has a jpeg export for web page images.

The only one I've ever used is Vutrax.

Nobody here has suggested Eagle CAD. There is a free version available
on the repository.

Apparently it's used to design the Arduino boards.