[ALUG] Mint 10

Wayne Stallwood ALUGlist at digimatic.co.uk
Thu Dec 23 19:51:46 GMT 2010

On 21/12/10 20:07, James Freer wrote:
> "However, this lengthy and complex development style also has some
> drawbacks: the stable releases of Debian are not particularly
> up-to-date and they age rapidly, especially since new stable releases
> are only published once every 1 - 3 years. Those users who prefer the
> latest packages and technologies are forced to use the potentially
> buggy Debian testing or unstable branches. The highly democratic
> structures of Debian have led to controversial decisions and gave rise
> to infighting among the developers. This has contributed to stagnation
> and reluctance to make radical decisions that would take the project
> forward." [Distrowatch]
>
> My comment was referring to this paragraph and what i gathered from
> reading numerous posts on forums. IF that is an unfair and unjust
> statement - it is the duty and responsibility of the debian community
> to raise the issue as it is damaging. I don't like what they write for
> several distros and i've written to a distro founder (another distro)
> in the past.

Show me a project of that scope that doesn't have those problems. Better
still show me a way to organise such a project in a way that keeps
everyone from the developers to the users happy. In fact no even better
still show them.

Debian as a community have probably contributed more to Linux than any
other. There is a very good reason why Debian is used as the source for
so many spin off distributions. The criteria for getting something into
the Stable branch is strict for good reason. Without it nothing would
ever get past the "it almost works most of the time and we will finish
the manpages later" stage.