[ALUG] Why Do You Use Linux?

James Freer jessejazza at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 23 22:34:31 GMT 2010

>> with electronic ignition systems and they are still in the 85%+ causes

> Is that really true ? and if it is then 20-30 years ago what percentage of
> breakdown cases or running problems were due to carbs or contact breaker
> ignition systems. ?

That is the figure that is quoted time and time again - over many years.

> I have owned several fuel injected classics, some with electronic fuel
> injection, some like my current one with mechanical injection. Rarely have I
> had problems with those systems (hoping to god the Saab 99turbo in the
> driveway isn't listening). When I do experience problems I find the solution
> particularly with running problems is easier to pinpoint (thanks largely to
> the diagnostic functions available on most electronic systems)

Very good. Mechanical units are better in my opinion. The nice useful
electronic gadget that tells you what's wrong is great... when it's
right. More often than not you're told you need a new fuel pump and
it's £2k + fitting (if diesel maybe be about the same for petrol).

> On the other side we have just tracked down a problem on a friends 20's
> Bugatti that has had 3 of us running round in circles for weeks, one of
> which is an expert on the marque.

So what was the problem? If the carbs getting fuel... is there a spark
correctly timed - the engine will start! Fuel pump working? [remove
and check], carb [check float level], dirt], fit new hose anyway and
filter, check for spark at each plug with SP tester. All of that can
be checked and replaced in a morning - you can't have been 'running
around for weeks'.

> I also remember tearing my hair out trying
> to balance the carbs on my Dad's old XJ12, I'd take on any problem on any
> fuel injection system than tackle that again :)

XJ12 Zenith Stromberg? - along with SUs they are the simplest carbs to
balance either by ear, hiss sound with a narrow pipe or the Gunson
flow meter - just by ear one can get a pretty good result. If correct
parts are fitted and the carb hasn't been messed about with - there
are no problems. If the diaphragm was broken you'll have problems.
Webers don't have any problems either, unless they've been messed
about with - downdraught ones are prone to the flange 'bowing' (mill
or file flat) - channels can get gunged up but an aquablast clears all
that out. The only place a Weber can wear is on the valves (air leaks)
and can be replaced with teflon seals. With carbs there are so few
working parts the only problem you can have is with a meddled one.
Bring me your next carb.

Adam - we're being rather hasty. As the saying goes 'There are lies,
yet more lies and statistics'. The AA list consists of people who
never carry out the weekly and monthly checks in the motorists manual
supplied with the car. Some people even forget to put fuel in a
vehicle. Can't be bothered to check battery, tyre pressure or look for
slow puncture. If they lose their keys they shouldn't be driving
anyway - more likely locked in the car - but you can't do that so
easily now with electronic keypads. Cooling problems - since
transverse engines became the norm with the electric fan, most of the
time sit idle until a baking hot summers day... overheat.

That's a ridiculous list - where's the list of stat for responsible
road users. Taking that list into account removing; lost keys, tyres,
fuel - apart from two the others are related which is often the
problem and depends how it's reported if one's making up data. So 6/7
= 0.857 (85.7%) which is what i said.

james