[ALUG] Why Do You Use Linux?

mick mbm at rlogin.net
Fri Dec 24 10:40:49 GMT 2010

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 18:22:51 +0000
Adam Bower <adam at thebowery.co.uk> allegedly wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 02:05:21PM +0000, mick wrote:
> >
> > The /only/ reason we do not see the same problems that beset the MS
> > world is that we /are/ a minority. If Linux were running on 90% of
> > all corporate desktops then we would be drowning in Linux malware.
>
> Except who wants a corporate desktop? Surely a nice Linux computer in
> a datacentre with a 1 gigabit/second link to the Internet is far more
> useful than something sitting on a slower connection behind a
> firewall.

I'm not at all sure what you are saying here. Large corporates roll out
huge desktop installations across their estate (quarter of a million
PCs to upgrade anyone?) as a matter of routine. Those desktops are
interconnected with each other and with the corporate servers over gig
ethernet. They access the wider net through (often multiple) gateways
which mediate the traffic.

And they do have "nice Linux computer(s) in datacentres with
gigabit/second link to the Internet".

Mick

The text file for RFC 854 contains exactly 854 lines.
Do you think there is any cosmic significance in this?

Douglas E Comer - Internetworking with TCP/IP Volume 1

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc854.txt