[ALUG] Newbie Meeting & Repo Question

Steve Engledow steve at offend.me.uk
Wed Jul 7 09:37:07 BST 2010

On 28 June 2010 19:21, Steve <snjc01 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've been dabbling with Linux for just over a year and am now consistently
> using Linux Mint albeit secondary to Windows.

I hope, with time, you'll be ditch Windows and fully find your feet
with Linux :)

> Do you ever run a newbies meeting, I still consider myself as that?

Not as such but come along to the monthly pub meeting tomorrow. We're
all friendly and happy to answer any and all questions you have. Bring
your machine if it's portable!

> Also, how is it possible to know (other than the approved Mint/Ubuntu
> repositories) which repositories/software is going to be ok, I feel like I
> may be missing out on stuff and in any case even in the approved repos they
> have disclaimers.

Well I suppose that's a tricky one. It depends who you trust and what
you're after. For example, you might trust Ubuntu to thoroughly check
all their package for bugs etc. but if you use software that's marked
as unstable or testing, you might find issues. If all else fails,
google it or ask someone with plenty of experience - mail this list
for example.

> Isn't Linux basically Linux won't most stuff play nicely together ?

Weeeeeellllllll, yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/maybe.

Strictly speaking, Linux is the kernel which is the software that
knows how to speak to your computer's hardware. Even linux isn't just
linux though as, due to it's open nature, people are free to (and very
often do) makes patches to the Linux kernel so it does things they
want. I suspect Ubuntu uses it's own patched version of the Linux
kernel.

The other software you use can vary greatly. Unlike Windows, there
isn't just one environment for the desktop, there are quite a lot to
choose from. Two of the most popular (I guess because they look and
feel like Window and/or OSX) are KDE and Gnome. You can pick and
choose. That, for me, is the most compelling thing about using Linux.

I hope that's cleared things up but to be honest, if it has, I'm
probably doing it wrong ;)

There's a lot of software out there and a lot of choices to make. Most
newbies will stick with the default Ubuntu desktop for a while and
hopefully, once they learn more, customise it to their own needs to
get the best experience possible.

Fin.

Cheers,
Steve