[ALUG] Flash issues

mick mbm at rlogin.net
Thu Jul 8 19:00:54 BST 2010

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 17:56:52 +0100
Bev Nicolson <lumos60 at gmail.com> allegedly wrote:

> Googling suggest that was close Richard. I have tried several command
> lines now and it hasn't done anything or says the command wasn't
> found.
>
> Bev.
>
> On 8 July 2010 17:07, Bev Nicolson <lumos60 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  <<tar -xvvzf foo.tar.gz
> >  extract gzipped foo.tar.gz

Bev

I can't believe you don't have tar installed. But one of your earlier
questions suggests to me that you may be trying the second line
"extract gzipped foo.tar.gz" as a command, when Richard's response
was simply an explanation of the first line. That is he said try

"tar -xvvzf foo.tar.gz"

and then said this means (slightly expanded) "extract the contents of
the gzipped tar archive called foo.tar.gz"

If you look at the man page for tar you will see that the switches
"-xvvzf" mean extract, verbose, and filter through gzip the file called
"foo.tar.gz"

HTH

Mick

The text file for RFC 854 contains exactly 854 lines.
Do you think there is any cosmic significance in this?

Douglas E Comer - Internetworking with TCP/IP Volume 1

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc854.txt