[ALUG] 600 To 600E... Oops.

Wayne Stallwood ALUGlist at digimatic.co.uk
Wed Jul 21 19:11:01 BST 2010

On 21/07/10 17:50, Simon Royal wrote:
> A working machine except the mouse pointer was broken. Would only go up and down. Pressing it left or right sent it into a frenzy.
> I decided to take the top from my 600 and put it on the 600E, and in the process broke the cable that leads down to the built in speakers, the connector came off. No worries, I had the other cable from the other top... oops... nope that broke too. Seems they are rather flimsy.

A little yes...they also sometimes get baked on a bit if the laptop has
been running really hot.

But the trick for the type I think you are referring to is to not pull
the wires but ease the connector apart with small screwdrivers at each end.

Between these and the ribbon connectors with the release levers I had
had to make numerous repairs for people after DIY laptop repairs.

It should only be 3 or 4 wires so if you have a fine tip soldering iron
you could probably solder the speaker leads directly to the back of the
PCB end of the connector. Alternatively if you wanted to do a proper
repair then Farnell probably stock the connector (although good luck
finding it on their website)