[ALUG] Used PC hardware for sale (running Debian)

Wayne Stallwood ALUGlist at digimatic.co.uk
Fri Jul 30 01:00:14 BST 2010

On 29/07/10 17:47, Anthony Anson wrote:
> I'll pass on it - I was weighing-up that one, but I don't think it will
> do all the things I want a box to do.
>
> Certainly No 1 won't.
>
> I might have to revise my demands - or get a Mac...

Aye because your PCI Modem etc will work well on that, so then you are
onto PPC era machines which still had built in modems, Which the current
version of OSX doesn't support. :)

If you want to replace the machine I think you may need to re-examine
your requirements as to expansion cards. Modern machines come with a
fair wack of SATA ports, Integrated NIC's are the norm now. on anything
21st century the integrated sound hardware can be quite reasonable too
and again is the norm. On Board firewire is reasonably common on higher
end mainboards. USB modems are cheap and plentiful still (although
nearly always softmodems so watch that linux compatibility) if not then
a trusty serial modem is always good....although check the board has a
serial port, not all do now.

With the high level of integrated support now and most other devices
being on USB plus the variety of PCI-E etc. It is common for modern
mainboards to have less of each expansion port.