[ALUG] Is there any way to prevent those annoying 'share' pop-ups in Firefox?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Mon Feb 7 11:25:48 GMT 2011

On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 10:57:49AM +0000, nev young wrote:
> On 07/02/11 10:23, Chris G wrote:
> >On Sun, Feb 06, 2011 at 05:51:06PM +0000, Srdjan Todorovic wrote:
> >>Hi,

> >>You mean those Facebook / Twitter / Google / Delicious / Myspace /
> >>Digg popup thingies?
> >>
> >You have it exactly!
> >

> >>Yes they are really annoying. On one forum I frequent, they are placed
> >>near the page navigation buttons, so if you accidentally hover over
> >>those popup bits then you have to hover over it again to un-popup it.
> >>
> >Yes, they seem to always be placed such that you're likely to hit them
> >by mistake.
> >

> >>I have NoScript enabled and it still gets through. My guess is that
> >>the JS that creates that is part of the site you want to visit,
> >>therefore it's already premitted in NoScript due to the user enabling
> >>JS for a site the user wants to visit.
> >>
> >>Not really sure how to disable it - maybe some greasemonkey extension
> >>or something?
> >>
> I don't think I've ever seen one. So maybe I'm blocking them without
> knowing.
> Do you have an example url?

Here's the one that annoyed me enough yesterday to post my message:-

    http://www.raygrahams.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=91086

If you hover your mouse over the little 'Share' strip above the Quick
Find search box over on the RHS you should (if you're unlucky like me)
get a "Bookmark and Share" pop-up window apppearing.