[ALUG] EeePC Users

Anthony Anson tony.anson at girolle.co.uk
Mon Feb 14 11:41:59 GMT 2011

Simon Royal wrote:
> Hi
>
> Are there any EeePC users out there running Linux on one?
>
> Mine should be here tomorrow and I am hoping to run the full Ubuntu
> 10.10 - not the Netbook version - on it.
>
> Has anyone any experience? It is a 701SD, so it is a 7" model with 8GB SSD.

Well, mine's an ancient one and still (FTTB) running native Xan-dross,
AKA Tellytubby Linux.

Last week I was going to make a bootable SD card, but I bought a Pentax
12.1 MPx camera from Lidl ad the card went in that. The the wind came
and blew down bargeoard and tiles, so a replacement card takes second place.

Tellytubbies works, for small values of 'works', but not to put too fine
a point on it, it's crap - and the laughable thing is that the book
tells you that you must not remove programs, etc! I did rocket Asus
about that, explaining what 'open source' meant, but they did't seem to
want to enter into any discussion.

So, whatever you do, don't use the Asus idea of Linux - *anything* is
better, maybe even <rotted to protect sensitive folk> Jvaqbjf. </rot>

I'm told that any other Penguin flavour is acceptable.

(On my flaptop, Lenny loads in a quarter of the time it takes XP, and (I
estimate) shuts down around ten times faster.

Go for it.

--
Tony Anson
www.girolle.co.uk/