[ALUG] Anyone use BBC iPlayer streaming? How fast a CPU for full screen?

Wayne Stallwood ALUGlist at digimatic.co.uk
Sun Feb 20 22:50:36 GMT 2011

On 18/02/11 21:04, Chris G wrote:
> I can't find anything helpful on the BBC site about this.
>
> What sort of processor speed (and memory or whatever else might affect
> it) is needed to run BBC iPlayer streaming full screen?  Full screen in
> this case means 1920x1080.

I left this as I don't have a straight answer.

See I download my iPlayer content using one of the *cough* various OSS
utilities that can do so.

I run XBMC on an Acer Revo with the Nvidia ION chipset, apart from the
odd bit of HD content that trips it up it generally manages to play
anything up to and including 1080p, full screen without drama with a bit
of help from VDPAU.

However that machine will not manage to play back flash video (iplayer
or youtube from within their respective sites) full screen at or over
480p without dropping frames and/or tearing.

That probably holds true for anything else based on the Atom.