[ALUG] Auto starting/stopping Linux virtual machine with VirtualBox on Win7 host

Mark Rogers mark at quarella.co.uk
Mon Feb 28 15:28:52 GMT 2011

Sorry, not entirely on topic here...

I have a working ubuntu-server virtual machine, on a Win7 host. I need to make
that virtual machine start automatically when Windows starts, and also have it
shut down gracefully when Windows shuts down.

Only one of these bits is really on topic: assuming I can send an ACPI
shutdown signal to the virtual machine, what do I need to do in order to get
the VM to shutdown?

Anyone who can advise the correct method to run/stop the VM on Windows
start/stop from the Windows end I'd also love to hear from you....

All my Googling so far (no doubt with the wrong search!) seems to be finding
me support for a Linux host and a Windows virtual machine. I'm hoping that
someone else here just happens to have done what I need!

Registered in England (0456 0902) @ 13 Clarke Rd, Milton Keynes, MK1 1LG