[ALUG] why won't it start?

Chris Walker cdw_alug at the-walker-household.co.uk
Wed Jan 5 17:51:34 GMT 2011

I've just grabbed a copy of Xara (http://www.xaraxtreme.org/). I
remember it from Acorn days and it was a superb program then.

I downloaded the AutoPackage Archive and ran that. It complained about
some missing files and offered to fetch them. I ok'd that and off it
went. But once that was completed, it didn't return to the command
prompt. Instead it said it was resuming installation. I waited and
waited and gave up in the end and killed it with Ctrl-C. I then
restarted the install and this time it went straight through.

It has appeared in the menu (I'm running KDE on Mandriva 64 bit) but
when I click on it, it produces a bar on the taskbar with a hourglass on
it, but the bar disappears with no output anywhere.

I've done a 'dmesg | tail' but that doesn't produce anything since a
previous error message which I knew about.

How can I find out what's going wrong please?

Cardboard programmer time! I did a chmod on the install file as root. I
then did the install as root. Could that be anything to do with it, and
if so, how do I fix it?

Apologies if this appears twice. I sent it from the wrong account first
time.

--
/ _/ _` \ V  V /  |  mailto:cdw_alug at the-walker-household.co.uk  |