[ALUG] migrating debian to another machine

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 17 08:01:53 GMT 2011

Hi, can I pick your brains on this one?  That time has come round again and I
have to move someone to a new machine.  What is the best way of doing it?

Last time, I did a new install on the new machine, then moved the contents of
the /home partition by copying, tracked down all the extra bits and bobs that we
have installed, and got them again.  It was quite a bit of work.

I am wondering if it is possible to just move the hard drive subject to then
reconfiguring the distribution?  Or is it possible to copy over the partitions
to the new hard drive, then....?

Any suggestions gratefully received. I have also read about using netcat, is
this possible or sensible?

Peter