[ALUG] Recommendations wanted for simple, command line, webcam capture program

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Mon Jan 24 19:25:23 GMT 2011

I'm after a simple webcam image capturing program to run from the
command line (well, ultimately from cron).

It's to run on my eeePc on the boat so must be simple and lightweight.

I am currently trying webcam and fswebcam without much success at the
moment.  If anyone has any experience of either of these programs then
I'd be pleased to know.

It seems that webcam is the nearest to working, I'm am trying to get it
to store images locally rather than FTPing them anywhere.  It seems to
grab an image but then when it tries to copy it fails:-

    root at eeepc:~# mkdir -p /home/chris/public_html/images
    root at eeepc:~# webcam
    reading config file: /root/.webcamrc
    video4linux webcam v1.5 - (c) 1998-2002 Gerd Knorr
    grabber config:
      size 320x240 [none]
      input (null), norm (null), jpeg quality 75
      rotate=0, top=0, left=0, bottom=240, right=320
    write config [ftp]:
      local transfer /home/chris/public_html/images/uploading.jpeg => /home/chris/public_html/images/webcam.jpeg
    open filename: No such file or directory