[ALUG] Recommendations wanted for simple, command line, webcam capture program

mick mbm at rlogin.net
Mon Jan 24 20:14:39 GMT 2011

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 19:25:23 +0000
Chris G <cl at isbd.net> allegedly wrote:

> I'm after a simple webcam image capturing program to run from the
> command line (well, ultimately from cron).
>
> It's to run on my eeePc on the boat so must be simple and lightweight.
>
> I am currently trying webcam and fswebcam without much success at the
> moment.  If anyone has any experience of either of these programs then
> I'd be pleased to know.
>
> It seems that webcam is the nearest to working, I'm am trying to get
> it to store images locally rather than FTPing them anywhere.  It
> seems to grab an image but then when it tries to copy it fails:-
>
>     root at eeepc:~# mkdir -p /home/chris/public_html/images
>     root at eeepc:~# webcam
>     reading config file: /root/.webcamrc
>     video4linux webcam v1.5 - (c) 1998-2002 Gerd Knorr
>     grabber config:
>       size 320x240 [none]
>       input (null), norm (null), jpeg quality 75
>       rotate=0, top=0, left=0, bottom=240, right=320
>     write config [ftp]:
>       local transfer /home/chris/public_html/images/uploading.jpeg
> => /home/chris/public_html/images/webcam.jpeg open filename: No such
> file or directory open filename: No such file or directory
>     open filename: No such file or directory
>     open filename: No such file or directory

Chris

webcam works fine for me. Make sure you have "local=1" set in the
[ftp] directives. Here's my config file:

#
# Configuration file for webcam program.
#
[grab]
device = /dev/video0
text = "Webcam on the slug at %H:%M:%S on %d %b %Y"
fg_red = 255
fg_green = 255
fg_blue = 255
width = 320
height = 240
# delay is the time in seconds between snapshots
delay = 30
# wait is the time in seconds before first starting
wait = 5
#input = composite1
#input = usb
norm = pal
# quality = jepg quality
quality = 80
rotate = 0
top = 0
left = 0
bottom = -1
right = -1
trigger = 0
# if once set to 1, webcam will upload a single file and quit.
once = 0

[ftp]
host = webcam.baldric.net
# local = 0 for remote transfer 1 for local filesystem
local = 1
dir  = /home/web/webcam.baldric.net/images
file = webcam.jpeg
#tmp  = uploading.jpeg
# variables below not required for local file transfer - only for remote
#user = webcam
#pass = xxxxxx
#passive = 1
#debug = 0
#auto = 0
#ssh = 0

and to see it in action, go here http://webcam.baldric.net/

Mick

The text file for RFC 854 contains exactly 854 lines.
Do you think there is any cosmic significance in this?

Douglas E Comer - Internetworking with TCP/IP Volume 1

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc854.txt