[ALUG] Detecting ethernet cabling issues

Mark Rogers mark at more-solutions.co.uk
Tue Jun 9 08:39:51 BST 2015

Are there any tools that would help detect/locate cabling issues?

I suspect I have a dodgy connection on a length of cable that runs
outside my house between my (Ubuntu) desktop and my (OpenWrt) router.
There's a gigabit switch between the two although I could probably
reroute cables enough to bypass that if necessary.

My old desktop has been generally slow for a while, and now that I've
replaced it with a new PC, with a fresh install to a new SSD, it's
(very disappointingly) no better. Given that most of what I use it for
uses the network in some way I'm thinking that's my next place to
look.

Mark