[ALUG] external HDD

steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk
Tue Jun 16 21:20:34 BST 2015

On 15/05/15 13:43, Anthony Anson wrote:

> My not-very-portable storage of similar type, but big, has only one
> USB connector per end of its cable.
>
> I infer from this that the only one of the connectors at the pooter
> end should be (need be?) plugged in?

Late to the party I know and this has been addressed a bit, but...

I have an  external USB drive caddy.  It has a cable as you describe.
The destruction manual that comes with it says, the USB connected to the
chunky cable bit goes on the PC, the thin end on the drive.  If the
drive draws more power from USB port than it can supply on one USB port,
then you plug in the second USB connector into a second USB port on the
the PC.  So, you must plug in the chunky USB port.  The second can be
used if required.

Regards
Steve