[ALUG] external HDD

Anthony Anson tony.anson at girolle.co.uk
Fri May 15 13:43:25 BST 2015

Just bought a portable hard drive enclosure and USB2 connection cable.
The cable has two large USB connectors at one end - the second of which
has a much shorter and skinnier cable; and a mini connector at the
enclosure end.

My not-very-portable storage of similar type, but big, has only one USB
connector per end of its cable.

I infer from this that the only one of the connectors at the pooter end
should be (need be?) plugged in?

The 500 GB HDD in the enclosure is SATA, as is the 160 GB one in the
notebook. (because I had thought of installing things on the big one and
puting it in the notebook...)

Anyway, I can't poke it into life. I get the rude message:

/Unable to mount location/

and underneath that:

/Can't mount file./

Where is the fault? Hardware? Me?

(I had meant to bring it along to the Norwich meet last night, but   )

--
Tony
http://www.girolle.co.uk/