[ALUG] No space for Audacity

steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk
Sun Jan 3 12:13:26 GMT 2016

On 03/01/16 11:23, Chris Walker wrote:
> I'm having a problem with my system and I can't see where the solution
> is despite looking online.
>
> Audacity said that the disc was short of space and just sat there doing
> nothing. So I killed the task and looked at the space with 'df'.
>
> It shows that /dev/sdb5 has zero space left. Here's the relevant output
> from df :-
>
> Filesystem                     Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> devtmpfs                       3.0G     0  3.0G   0% /dev
> tmpfs                          3.0G  1.4M  3.0G   1% /dev/shm
> tmpfs                          3.0G  940K  3.0G   1% /run
> /dev/sdb5                      7.6G  7.2G     0 100% /
> /dev/sdb7                      7.6G  5.6G  1.7G  78% /usr
> tmpfs                          3.0G     0  3.0G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
> tmpfs                          3.0G   88K  3.0G   1% /tmp
> /dev/sdb8                      849G  202G  647G  24% /home
> tmpfs                          597M   12K  597M   1% /run/user/1000
>
> So where has the 7.6 gigs worth of space gone on sdb5 or am I looking
> in the wrong place ?

if I do ls /, I get something like
bin
dev
mnt
root
sys
boot
etc
lib
run
tmp
home
lost+found
opt
sbin
usr
media
proc
srv
var

Some of those are temporary file systems.  Some you have mounted as
separate "drives".  Everything else will be using up space on "\"
partition.  However, having a machine with limited disk space myself, my
money is on old kernels.  Unless you've deleted them after updating,
they sit there taking up space.  The latest version of Grub tends to
hide how many old kernels you have installed from you.

IF you're running ububtu, try installing ubuntutweak (I'll leave that as
an excercise).  Then run its janitor.
Failing that, OLD SKOOL method is to uninstall them manually.  I think
files you need start with  "linux-image" but be careful.  DO NOT DELETE
THE CURRENT KERNEL.  Try just deleting one old one (lower version numbers)

Backup first
Be careful
Don't do it if you don't know what you're doing
Caveat Emptor

etc

Good luck
Steve