[ALUG] No space for Audacity

Chris Walker alug_cdw at the-walker-household.co.uk
Sun Jan 3 14:10:07 GMT 2016

On Sun, 3 Jan 2016 12:13:26 +0000
steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk wrote:

> On 03/01/16 11:23, Chris Walker wrote:
> > I'm having a problem with my system and I can't see where the
> > solution is despite looking online.

[snip]
> > So where has the 7.6 gigs worth of space gone on sdb5 or am I
> > looking in the wrong place ?

[snip]
> Some of those are temporary file systems.  Some you have mounted as
> separate "drives".  Everything else will be using up space on "\"
> partition.  However, having a machine with limited disk space myself,
> my money is on old kernels.  Unless you've deleted them after
> updating, they sit there taking up space.  The latest version of Grub
> tends to hide how many old kernels you have installed from you.

I tend to remove the oldest entry from the grub menu almost as soon as
a new kernel is installed so I'd forgotten about them staying on the
disc somewhere.

> IF you're running ububtu, try installing ubuntutweak (I'll leave that
> as an excercise).  Then run its janitor.
> Failing that, OLD SKOOL method is to uninstall them manually.  I
> think files you need start with  "linux-image" but be careful.  DO
> NOT DELETE THE CURRENT KERNEL.  Try just deleting one old one (lower
> version numbers)

I'm not running ubuntu, I can't get on with it. I run Mageia.

> Backup first

I have a regular routine to do that having been bitten by finger
trouble in the past.

> Be careful
> Don't do it if you don't know what you're doing

Not sure about that bit :-)

> Good luck

Who needs luck when you have a backup? :-)

If I look in /boot I see lots of symvers, System.map and vmlinuz files,
lots of which refer to v3 kernels and I'm now running v4.1.13 so I've
deleted the old stuff having made sure that those files are present in
the backup. I now over 60MB free on the drive and all is running
smoothly again.

Thanks for your help.

--
/ _/ _` \ V  V /  |  mailto:alug_cdw at the-walker-household.co.uk  |