[ALUG] Good option for occasional printing

Huge huge at huge.org.uk
Fri Jan 15 11:05:12 GMT 2016

On Fri, 2016-01-15 at 10:53 +0000, William Hill wrote:
> On 15 Jan 2016, at 10:30, Steve Engledow <steve at offend.me.uk> wrote:
>
> > Printing has long been the bane of my (and I'm sure most people's)
> > existence and several years back, I swore I would never buy another
> > printer.
>
> I’ve got an ancient, ex-skip LaserJet 4
> If you can beg, borrow or dumpster-dive something like this I can recommend for linux use.
> In general, laser is higher up front cost, and toner cartridges are pricy but last years.
> Something that uses PCL or PS will be easiest to drive.
> A network connection is nice, too.
> Bill

Agreed.  I have a LJ5M which (IIRC) cost about £30 on eBay years ago,
works fine with Linux (& Windows & Mac/OS).  The only downside is it's
getting a bit small/slow by modern standards and can take a very long
time (ca. 10 mins a page) to print stuff, and very occasionally runs out
of memory. If I were replacing it, I'd get another, more recent, HP
laser s/h on eBay.

--
Today is Setting Orange, the 15th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3182
                  I don't have an attitude problem.