[ALUG] Rural Broadband

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Tue Jan 19 13:13:50 GMT 2016

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 11:20:03AM +0000, Laurie Brown wrote:

> This particular client has speeds of Down: 1.8 and Up: 0.3. As she runs
> an office from home, this is clearly unacceptable. The line has become
> steadily worse over the last couple of years, and she has received
> absolutely nothing but obfuscation and requests for more money from both
> BT and Eclipse. She's tried Bonded DSL, but was told that it didn't work
> because she uses VOIP. No, they won't retract that. She has a spare
> line, equally slow, effectively unused now.

Going on from my other response and taking a totally different tack we
are in a similar position (unless/until FibreWifi come up with the
goods).  We are a bit better off in getting Down 4.0 and Up .45 but
not so much different.

We also have two phone lines and my solution is to us a Draytek Vigor
2820n ADSL router which can load balance with a second connection.  So
we have 'line 1' ADSL connected directly to the 2820n and 'line 2'
ADSL goes to another ADSL router (currently a Business Hub 3) and that
feeds into the secondary WAN connection on the 2820n. It works pretty
well in general, not all things can use both streams at the same time
but some things can and with more than one thing going on at the same
time it helps quite a bit.

I've changed ISP a few times over last few years, BT, the UKFSN
(EntaNet).  Currently both lines are with PlusNet, as cheap as anyone
and seem to work as well as any.  Speed has never changed
significantly moving from one ISP to another.

(The 2820n has been suoperseded by the 2830n now, ver similar though)