[ALUG] FTP servers with remote admin tools

steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk
Fri Jan 29 14:07:27 GMT 2016

On 29/01/16 12:18, Mark Rogers wrote:
> On 28 January 2016 at 20:32, <steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Not quite what you're after but Webmin (webadmin) is a capable remote admin in a browser.
> It is indeed, and I use VirtualMin (which is WebMin with hosting bells
> and whistles added) in a couple of places, although I think it's just
> shielded me for learning stuff that I could do more quickly without
> it. However there is a fairly big overhead sitting there 24/7 just to
> allow me to make occasional config file changes.
>
> (I say "me", but I'm happy doing it via SSH. The desire for a GUI is
> for others who are less used to commandline config.)

OK, they want a GUI, Webmin's a gui.  There will be overhead, *BUT* what
overhead?  It it's not getting used, I would have thought the processor
overhead of a web server serving a page that's not being accessed would
be minimal.  There would be disk space and memory overhead, for sure,
but I wouldn't have thought it would be to honourous, unless you pay per
MB of storage/memory!

Secondly, do you REALLY want an FTP server?  FTP can't transfer files
securely, and can't do user accounts/logins securely so it's only really
useful (AIUI) for situations where little or no security is acceptible,
e.g. downloads of the latest version of Ubuntu with no password or
username required.

SFTP is better (secure FTP), but to be secure, I think most people would
use SCP (Secure CoPy -= cp via SSH (Secure SHell))

I have vsftp installed.  Very Secure File Transfer Protocol.  It can do
FTP, or SFTP( I think).

I have it set up purely to work INSIDE my firewalled network.  I only
use it to allow a webcam to FTP in images.  There is an account for the
webcam on vsftp, but that's the only one allowed in.

It works for me.  May I suggest you google the security implications of
FTP if you're not using it in a situation where trivial security is
acceptable?

Good luck!

Steve