[ALUG] FTP servers with remote admin tools

Mark Rogers mark at more-solutions.co.uk
Fri Jan 29 16:18:09 GMT 2016

On 29 January 2016 at 14:07,  <steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk> wrote:
> OK, they want a GUI, Webmin's a gui.  There will be overhead, *BUT* what
> overhead?

Memory, basically. For webmin I need Apache and that isn't needed otherwise.

It's not a huge issue, but logically it shouldn't be needed. A tool
that understands (eg) vsFTP config files and manages them remotely via
SSH ought not be too complicated and would have no overhead! Not that
I am volunteering to write one...

> Secondly, do you REALLY want an FTP server?

No!

But then it's not my choice. This is part of the reason why there'll
be nothing else on that server, although in reality the files are just
CSV data files which aren't confidential (or interesting outside the
application) so it's not a huge issue.

> SFTP is better (secure FTP), but to be secure, I think most people would use
> SCP (Secure CoPy -= cp via SSH (Secure SHell))

Except where "most people" are Windows users...

SFTP is fine as FileZilla supports it although I don't get to mandate that.

> I have vsftp installed.

I don't think I've used vsFTP. I have used PureFTP in the past which
I'd expect to be just as secure, but I don't have a preference.

Mark