[ALUG] FTP servers with remote admin tools

steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk
Fri Jan 29 16:47:11 GMT 2016

On 29/01/16 16:18, Mark Rogers wrote:
> On 29 January 2016 at 14:07,  <steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk> wrote:
>> OK, they want a GUI, Webmin's a gui.  There will be overhead, *BUT* what
>> overhead?
> Memory, basically. For webmin I need Apache and that isn't needed otherwise.
>
> It's not a huge issue, but logically it shouldn't be needed. A tool
> that understands (eg) vsFTP config files and manages them remotely via
> SSH ought not be too complicated and would have no overhead! Not that
> I am volunteering to write one...
>
>> Secondly, do you REALLY want an FTP server?
> No!
>
> But then it's not my choice. This is part of the reason why there'll
> be nothing else on that server, although in reality the files are just
> CSV data files which aren't confidential (or interesting outside the
> application) so it's not a huge issue.
>
>> SFTP is better (secure FTP), but to be secure, I think most people would use
>> SCP (Secure CoPy -= cp via SSH (Secure SHell))
> Except where "most people" are Windows users...
>
> SFTP is fine as FileZilla supports it although I don't get to mandate that.

OK, well, you can use FTP in a web browser, but most times I've done
FTP, I've installed a program to do it.  If you're going to install a
program, that program may as well be WinSCP, which does SCP *AND* FTP
(at least I think it does FTP).  Then you can use SCP :-)  You can also
install putty of course for SSH access.

Unless it's FTP from a program or scripted, in which case I don't know!

Good luck!