[ALUG] FTP servers with remote admin tools

mick mbm at rlogin.net
Fri Jan 29 17:39:23 GMT 2016

On Fri, 29 Jan 2016 16:18:09 +0000
Mark Rogers <mark at more-solutions.co.uk> allegedly wrote:

> On 29 January 2016 at 14:07,  <steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk> wrote:
> > OK, they want a GUI, Webmin's a gui.  There will be overhead, *BUT*
> > what overhead?
>
> Memory, basically. For webmin I need Apache and that isn't needed
> otherwise.

No you don't. Apache is an unnecessary resource hog. I gave up using it
over decade ago. I use lighttpd for all my web services. And I use it
with webmin. If you want a /really/ lightweight HTTP daemon, take a
look at tHttpd (although that is now very old).

Also: +1 for SFTP. You really don't want vanilla FTP passing
credentials in the clear. I think gFTP is a good gui client for
linux/OSX (though that too is now sadly getting long in the tooth).

(And thanks to Laurie for the pointer to Ansible.)

Mick

 Mick Morgan
 gpg fingerprint: FC23 3338 F664 5E66 876B  72C0 0A1F E60B 5BAD D312
 http://baldric.net