[ALUG] Server permissions issue

Chris Walker alug_cdw at the-walker-household.co.uk
Thu Nov 24 12:10:20 GMT 2016

On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 17:08:06 +0000
Chris Walker <alug_cdw at the-walker-household.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 16:53:01 +0000
> steve-ALUG at hst.me.uk wrote:
>
> > On 23/11/16 15:15, Chris Walker wrote:
> > > []
> > > I now want to add an image to the mp3 files and I do that using a
> > > script from this machine.
> > >
> > > Here's the full error :-
> > > Writing ID3 version v2.3
> > > [Errno 13] Permission denied:
> > > u'/media/ProLiant/Media_Share/iPlayer_downloads/radio/Im_Sorry_I_Havent_A_Clue_Series_66_-_2._Episode_2.mp3'
>
> > Well, it depends I suppose how the script does what it does.
> > I'd suggest either manually performing the steps of the script one
> > by one, or
> > edit the script and make it output a message after each step.
> > You'll then know which task failed.  You can then google the task
> > and its error messages and get a clue what could cause it.
> >
> > However, it'd chek first that you can actually edit the file you're
> > trying to adjust - just try and "touch" it and see if that works. If
> > you don't have write access that would certainly cause an error.
>
> Well, I can move it from the server to my machine and write it back
> without errors, so I guess that answers the last query.

Er, it doesn't answer the last query at all! While I can move the file
from the server to this machine without error, I can't 'touch' it as I
get a permissions issue.

So plainly I've done something wrong here. Where do I start in
resolving it though?

In order to avoid confusing myself even more, I deleted the files that were on the server and using get_iplayer on the Ubuntu box, I downloaded a radio program again.

If I tell you what I did when setting up the box that might help.

My fstab file on this machine looks like this :-
//ProLiant/xbox /media/ProLiant/Media_Share cifs dir_mode=0775,gid=chris,uid=chris,credentials=/etc/samba/auth.proliant_server.Xbox,sec=ntlm,_netdev 0 0

The credentials file has a userid and password in it like 'xbox' and 'password'.

On the Ubuntu box, I added chris to the xbox group too. So if I run the id command, the result looks like this :-
uid=1000(chris) gid=1000(chris) groups=1000(chris),4(adm),24(cdrom),27(sudo),30(dip),46(plugdev),110(lxd),113(sambashare),117(lpadmin),1003(xbox)

So can you give me any pointers on where I might start with this please? Even a link to a relevant web page would help.

Ta.

--
/ _/ _` \ V  V /  |  mailto:alug_cdw at the-walker-household.co.uk  |