[ALUG] Wanted - Audio player which works sensibly

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Fri Nov 25 15:49:32 GMT 2016

On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 05:40:10PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 05:32:46PM +0000, Huge wrote:
> > Exaile.
> >
> > Took me ages to find a dead simple media player that (i) didn't look
> > like a car radio; why do people pick the *worst* UI in the world to
> > emulate? & (ii) didn't have about a gazillion "features" I didn't want.
> > Just play the damn music.
> >
> Pity it's not in the Ubuntu repositories but I may try it anyway,
> thanks.

Hmm, it's obviously not my day.

I've installed exaile on my laptop running xubuntu 16.04 and it starts
up OK and the interface looks the sort of thing I want. However it
fails when asked to actually play something with:-

    Playback error encountered!
    playsink0: Possible audio device error, is it plugged in?

Other programs seem able to make noises so it would seem I do have
sound, just that exaile doesn't think so.