[ALUG] Mesh wireless

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Mon Apr 10 14:09:27 BST 2017

On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 01:20:27PM +0100, Mark Rogers wrote:
> On 10 April 2017 at 13:03, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> > As in wireless for what?  Controlling things like the central heating,
> > lights, etc.?
>
> No, just providing reliable wifi throughout the house, without dead
> spots or issues handing over between repeaters.
>
> At the moment, I never use Wifi at home on my mobile because 4G is way
> more reliable - as well as faster - and I am lucky to have no usage
> cap on it. But that means I don't have access to anything on my
> (W)LAN. I'd like to switch to wireless at home but without the penalty
> for being so rash as to move around while using it! I've tried several
> repeaters and different wireless routers without success, and the
> reviews of all the mesh systems seem to suggest that compared with all
> the issues of normal wireless "it just works".
>
> Also I feel like it might be a skill worth learning.

I see.  Well we have a big (6 bedroom) house and it's covered pretty
well by two 'standard' wireless routers, though see below.

> > Is a 100Mb/s port *really* a limitation for this sort of thing?  What
> > would use lots of bandwidth?  ... or do you mean, by 'wireless
> > products' streaming video around the place?
>
> Well Wireless-N is capable of more than 100Mbps, and my home Internet
> (Virgin) connection maxes out at close to 200Mbps, so putting in
> infrastructure that limits it to 100Mbps just feels wrong to start
> with. But yes, streaming video is one of the uses (from media held on
> a box at home so not limited by the Internet connection), and
> of-course that 100Mbps bottleneck would apply not per-user but as a
> maximum total throughput, so having lots of devices using it is going
> to see individual throughputs drop substantially.

Hmm, different league from us then, we currently have two ADSL
connections which *between them* provide us with about 10Mb/s.  3G/4G
is close to non-existent.

I just have wired ethernet all round the place and to the (fairly
distant) garage so my backups to the garage run at Gb/s speeds.