[ALUG] Mesh wireless

Mark Rogers mark at more-solutions.co.uk
Mon Apr 10 14:23:55 BST 2017

On 10 April 2017 at 14:09, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> I see.  Well we have a big (6 bedroom) house and it's covered pretty
> well by two 'standard' wireless routers, though see below.

Ours is 4-bed and I can get wireless almost everywhere, but it's just
not reliable upstairs. Where laptops tend to get used it's fine, but
those locations are all in the same room as the wifi router or in an
adjacent room.

Putting a repeater upstairs meant I always had strong signal but
rarely did I get it to actually allow me to do anything.

> Hmm, different league from us then, we currently have two ADSL
> connections which *between them* provide us with about 10Mb/s.  3G/4G
> is close to non-existent.

We are lucky to have decent options here (and I know how poor it can
be across much of the ALUG "catchment area").

> I just have wired ethernet all round the place and to the (fairly
> distant) garage so my backups to the garage run at Gb/s speeds.

Wired would be a big job, although I've considered it. But obviously
that's never going to do a lot for my phone :-)

Regardless though, wireless is one of those technologies that's
everywhere and mesh wireless is likely to become more common, so a big
part of the driving force behind this is to learn more about it.
Whether driven by real IoT or just mobiles and stuff like Alexa or
Nest, I'm sure that having a reliable home wireless network is going
to be more important in 10 years than it is now.