[ALUG] Mesh wireless

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Wed Apr 12 09:24:36 BST 2017

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 09:03:29AM +0100, Mark Rogers wrote:

> As to my own situation: having a cable (or homeplug) to upstairs with
> a wifi access point there would likely work quite well, although it
> would (I believe?) then really need to be on a different SSID to work
> properly. (In a completely unrelated coincidence I spent most of
> yesterday on site trying to get some devices to reliably connect to a
> wifi network which comprised multiple access points on one network
> that really didn't work very well, and that was set up by
> professionals. It bears out my own experience at home with wifi
> repeaters and multiple access points and doesn't give me much
> confidence in success via that route.)

I simply have two WiFi routers with separate SSIDs, passwords, etc.
One covers the front of the house and the other the back of the house,
both are on a window cill upstairs and coverage through the floor to
downstairs seems fine.

I've never really tried the 'repeaters' or 'access points' thing.  The
two 'good' routers manage to cover our large (as I said, 6 bedrooms)
house pretty well.  One is a Draytek Vigor 2820n and the other is a
Microtik.  It's very noticeable that other routers in the same places
(I have a BT Home Hub3 and a Fonera modem running too) don't produce
anywhere near as good a signal.

> The mesh solutions seem to also allow for the access points to be on
> cable for improved speed, but work better as a single wifi network.
> Well that's as much as I've learned from reviews anyway...

My two routers are wired.