[ALUG] Mesh wireless

Mark Rogers mark at more-solutions.co.uk
Wed Apr 12 10:22:15 BST 2017

On 12 April 2017 at 09:31, Huge <huge at huge.org.uk> wrote:

> I've been playing with Zyxel powerline adaptors. They suck little green
> toads.

The ones we used to re-sell were from www.solwise.co.uk and they
generally performed pretty well (and got good reviews) compared to the
"well known" brands.

I will say that from experience of more than one brand (including
Solwise) they sometimes seem to need replacing fairly often (every few
years). Maybe newer ones don't have this problem, but I guess that the
power supplies inside them are great to start with but get noiser with
age.

Environmental issues are another problem (much less so than with
wireless though). Finding someone who can lend you them or will take
them back if they don't work for you even if they're not actually
broken helps (buying online with distance selling regulations support
helps here).

For most people, most of the time, they "just work", and compared with
wireless they're often a godsend, especially for connecting kit that
would naturally be cabled anyway (printers, X-boxes, PCs, etc). As
more and more devices are naturally wireless the need to combine any
other solution with wireless anyway makes the market for
powerline/homeplug devices harder.