[ALUG] Mesh wireless

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Wed Apr 12 10:30:42 BST 2017

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 10:22:15AM +0100, Mark Rogers wrote:
[snip]

> For most people, most of the time, they "just work", and compared with
> wireless they're often a godsend, especially for connecting kit that
> would naturally be cabled anyway (printers, X-boxes, PCs, etc). As
> more and more devices are naturally wireless the need to combine any
> other solution with wireless anyway makes the market for
> powerline/homeplug devices harder.

I think we're very lucky in some ways being out in the sticks.  There
is absolutely no issue with WiFi spectrum crowding here.  I can only
see *one* other source of WiFi signal apart from my own routers, it's
the BT router in the house opposite.

We don't find having two entirely separate WiFi networks to cover the
house any problem.  The areas they serve are pretty well defined so
when you turn on a laptop (or a tablet) then it picks up the better
signal and 'just works'.  It's hardly a big chore to have to enter two
passwords.  You only have to enter the two passwords once and it's done.