[ALUG] Mesh wireless

Mark Rogers mark at more-solutions.co.uk
Wed Apr 12 10:50:20 BST 2017

On 12 April 2017 at 10:30, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:

> I think we're very lucky in some ways being out in the sticks.

Lucky in that you have absolutely perfect wifi sharing your <10Mbps
broadband :-)

> We don't find having two entirely separate WiFi networks to cover the
> house any problem.  The areas they serve are pretty well defined so
> when you turn on a laptop (or a tablet) then it picks up the better
> signal and 'just works'.  It's hardly a big chore to have to enter two
> passwords.  You only have to enter the two passwords once and it's done.

Absolutely agree that's no chore - and it's not like you can't have
the same password for both if you choose to.

My issue when I've tried it is loss of connectivity as the phone hunts
between them, due to not having clearly definable zones. In that
context 4G works much better, but it feels wrong turning wifi off when
I get home! Not to mention that I daresay that unlimited 4G isn't
something I can rely on forever (I've gone over 5GB so far this month
and that's not unusual).

I'm edging towards trying this approach again though with better
hardware (there's been some AP suggestions in this thread but I'm open
to other recommendations).