[ALUG] Mesh wireless

Mark Rogers mark at more-solutions.co.uk
Wed Apr 12 11:45:51 BST 2017

On 12 April 2017 at 11:01, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> Isn't that something wrong with the phone?  I've never noticed
> anything (laptop, tablet, phone) 'hunting' between the two routers.
> The only problem we have is that when you walk from one side of the
> house to the other the tablet/phone/laptop stays connected to the WiFi
> it started with.

Well it seems to be common to whatever device I pick, but maybe I'm
just unlucky. I suspect having a lot of "competing" wifi in the area
doesn't help though.

On-site yesterday my phone was generally much better at picking up a
reliable wifi signal than anything I was there to configure...
(Equally: as soon as I enabled the hotspot on my phone everything I
was working with was able to connect to that and get online without
problem. The devices were Pi 3's, with or without external antennae,
very often within a couple of feet of the Draytek AP-910C access point
they were supposed to be connecting to. Generally they would connect
easily but timeout after multiple retries trying to get a DHCP lease.)