[ALUG] Openwrt [was Re: Mesh wireless]

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Thu Apr 13 09:11:06 BST 2017

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 09:00:59AM +0100, Mark Rogers wrote:
> On 10 April 2017 at 16:41, Bill Hill <mail at wbh.org> wrote:
> > Personally, for just covering a house I'd play with a couple of OpenWRT
> > routers and OLSRd https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/mesh.olsr
>
> Thanks for this; my main router is running OpenWRT so adding a second
> OpenWRT router makes sense.
>
> What's a good hardware choice for OpenWRT these days? The supported
> hardware pages are great except they don't make it easy to find
> something which is currently widely available.
>
> (Actually I've made the switch to the LEDE Project, which looks like
> it might have more momentum but I'm not sure. Have any of the other
> OpenWRT users here considered it?)

I've been through much of the above too, and finally decided that
OpenWRT/LEDE isn't really very helpful.

My major issue is that there seems to be no attempt to update the
OpenWRT version for any particular hardware once there is a working
version. So, once you have installed a version then that's it.  I have
a Mikrotik RB2011 running OpenWrt and it's functional but I have to
say that's about it.  I was aimimg to use it as my main home router
with load balancing etc. but it was hard enough simply to get OpenWrt
installed so doing clever things felt a bridge too far.

The Mikrotik RB2011 is for sale now (on eBay) if anyone is interested.