[ALUG] Mesh wireless

Bill Hill mail at wbh.org
Thu Apr 13 13:36:55 BST 2017

On 13/04/2017 09:00, Mark Rogers wrote:
> On 10 April 2017 at 16:41, Bill Hill <mail at wbh.org> wrote:
>> Personally, for just covering a house I'd play with a couple of OpenWRT
>> routers and OLSRd https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/mesh.olsr
>
> Thanks for this; my main router is running OpenWRT so adding a second
> OpenWRT router makes sense.
>
> What's a good hardware choice for OpenWRT these days? The supported
> hardware pages are great except they don't make it easy to find
> something which is currently widely available.
>
> (Actually I've made the switch to the LEDE Project, which looks like
> it might have more momentum but I'm not sure. Have any of the other
> OpenWRT users here considered it?)

I've set up a TPlink WR743 router as a reverse bridge - it connects to the
house WiFi and provides networking for various wired devices, the printer, VoIP
phone and a NAS. Why the WR743? It was what I had lying around.
As for what's good hardware for OpenWRT, well I wish I knew. I've been wanting
to get a TPlink Archer C5. Trouble is the V1 works with OpenWRT, the V2 doesn't.
I generally prototype things like OpenVPN to a RaspberryPi running OpenWRT and
then move to the real router. Easier to wipe a SD card than solder in JTAG headers!
I'm watching LEDE, but haven't jumped ship, yet.

--
Red to red, black to black, switch it on, but stand well back.