[ALUG] Mesh wireless

Mark Rogers mark at more-solutions.co.uk
Thu Apr 13 14:09:36 BST 2017

On 13 April 2017 at 13:36, Bill Hill <mail at wbh.org> wrote:
> I generally prototype things like OpenVPN to a RaspberryPi running OpenWRT and
> then move to the real router. Easier to wipe a SD card than solder in JTAG headers!

How well does this work? I'm thinking that a Pi just has a single
(slow) Ethernet port, where it presumably needs at least 2 to be a
router? Obviously there are usb-ethernet options to add ports but I
feel like I may be missing a trick?

> I'm watching LEDE, but haven't jumped ship, yet.

It's not helped by the fact that LEDE looks like it's had a lot more
development recently, but most of that is just rebranding and it's
hard to see where the real momentum is.

I think the lack of clear documentation as to what current hardware
works well makes it hard to adopt (although I can't see a good way to
fix that particular problem).